St Mary's Rydal was opened on Christmas Day 1824. Up until this time the hamlet and Hall had been served by St Oswald's Grasmere, (at this time Grasmere Parish covered the whole area of the present lakes civil parish ending at the Low Wood).
The Church was built by Lady Ann Le Fleming. Her brother in law the Rev'd Sir Richard Le Fleming was Rector of Grasmere from 1822 to 1857. Lady Anne for family reasons decided to built her own Chapel at Rydal and the foundation stone was laid by her in 1823 and the dedication took place at the end of August 1825 near the Feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, who was named as patron saint of the new Church.
The Church is largely in the same layout as originally built, but the balcony has been enclosed to create a quiet space for Sunday School and meetings.
The Church is open everyday for visitors.